Saturday 21 February 2009

An Analysis of Prophets, Holy Personages and God Himself in the Bible

THE PROPHETS

“He (Solomon) married them (women from Hitite, Moab and Ammon, Edom and Sidon) even though the Lord had commanded the Israelites not to intermarry with these people, because they would cause the Israelites to give their loyalty to other gods.

Solomon intermarried 700 princesses and also had 300 concubines. They made him turn away from God, and by the time he was old they had led him into the worship of foreign gods. He was not faithful to the Lord his God, as his father David had been.

He worshipped Astarte the goddess of Sidon and Molech the disgusting god of Ammon. He sinned against the Lord and was not true to Him as his father David had been. On the mountain east of Jerusalem he had built a place to worship Chemosh, the disgusting god of Moab, and a place to worship Molech, the disgusting god of Ammon.

He also built places of worship where all his foreign wives could burn incense and offer sacrifices to their own gods. Even though the Lord, the God of Israel, appeared to twice and had commanded him not to worship foreign gods,

Solomon did not obey the Lord, but turned away from Him.”
(1 Kings, Ch. 11: 1-11)

The Prophet David secretly climbed onto a palace roof one day when he was not too busy and watched a young married woman, Bathsheba, having a shower in her own residence. He later enquired about her, sent for her and had sexual intercourse with her.

Bathsheba bore him the illegitimate son soon afterwards (who later died of illness as a baby and because of this God forbade him to build Masjid Aqsa and said Solomon should build it instead after David’s death.)
(2 Samuel: 11)

In the Bible, Solomon and David are not Prophets, but blessed and honoured kings. In Islam, both are regarded as 'Prophets'.

“Noah (AS) was the first man to plant a vineyard [to make wine]. After he drank some of the wine, he became drunk, took off his clothes and lay naked in his tent.”
(Genesis 9: 20-22)

“(Moses) said to the Lord, ‘Why have you treated me so badly? Why are you so displeased with me? Why have you given me the responsibility for all these people? I didn’t create them or bring them to birth!

Why should You ask me to act like a nurse and carry them in my arms like babies all the way to the land You promised to their ancestors?

Where could I get enough meat for all these people? They keep whining and asking for meat. I can’t be responsible for all these people by myself; it’s too much for me!

If you are going to treat me like this, take pity on me and kill me, so that I won’t have to endure Your Cruelty any longer.”
(Moses blames God for his worries, Numbers 11: 11-15)

“Sovereign Lord! Why did You bring us across the Jordan at all? To hand us over to the Amorites? To destroy us? Why didn’t we just stay on the other side of the Jordan? What can I say, O Lord, now that Israel has retreated from the enemy?

The Canaanites and everyone else in the country will hear about it. They will surround us and kill every one of us! And then what will You do to protect Your Honour?’
(Joshua 7: 6-10 Speech by Prophet Joshua to God)

“I will mourn and lament. To show my sorrow, I will walk about barefoot and naked. I will howl like a Jackal and wail like an ostrich.”
(Speech by Prophet Micah, Micah 1: 8-10)

“O Lord, how long must I call for help before You save us from violence. Why do You make me see such trouble?”
(Speech by Prophet Habakuk, Habakuk 1: 2-4)

“Why are You silent while they [the Babylonians] destroy people who are more righteous than they are. How can You treat people like fish or like a swarm of insects that have no ruler?”
(Speech by Prophet Habakuk to God, Habakuk 1: 13-15)

“I will climb my watchtower and wait to see what the Lord will tell me to say and what answer He will give to my complaint.”
(Speech by Prophet Habakkuk, Habakkuk 2: 1-2)

“Lord, why do You ill-treat Your People? Why did You send me here? Ever since I went to the King to speak for You, he has treated them cruelly. And You [God] have done nothing to help them.”
(Speech by Moses, Exodus 5:22-23)

“When the people saw that Moses had not come down from the mountain but was staying there a long time, they gathered round Harun (Aaron) and said to him, ‘we do not know what has happened to this man Moses, who led us out of Egypt; so make us a god to lead us. Harun said to them,

‘Take off the gold earrings which your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me. So all the people took off their gold earrings and brought them to Harun. He took the earrings, melted them, poured the gold into the mould and made a gold bull calf. The people said, ‘Israel this is our god, who led us out of Egypt.

Then Harun built an alter in front of the gold bull calf and announced, ‘Tomorrow there will be a festival to honour The Lord [meaning the calf.] Early the next morning they brought some animals to burn as sacrifices and others to eat as fellowship offerings. The people sat down to a feast, which turned into an orgy of drinking and sex.”
(Exodus 32: 1-7)

“You must get out of here and go somewhere else, because Herod wants to kill you.’
Jesus answered them’ Go and tell that fox: ‘I am driving out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow and on the third day I shall finish my work.”
[Speech by Jesus] (Luke 13:31-333)

“You must not tell me what to do.”
(Speech by Jesus to his mother Mary, John 6: 29)

“You offspring of vipers-, who told you that you could escape the punishment God is about to send.”
(Speech by Yahya, (John the Baptist), Matthew 3: 7)

“A bowl was there, full of cheap wine, so a sponge was soaked in the wine, put on a stalk of Hyssop, and lifted up to his lips. Jesus drank the wine and said ‘it is finished’. Then he bowed his head and died.”
(Jesus at the time of his Crucifixion, John 19:29)

NB. Imagine that, the last act of Jesus is to drink wine without resistance and see it as a fulfilment of his duty as the Messiah.

“Put Uriah [a chief officer in David’s army] in the frontline, where the fighting is heaviest and let him be killed.”
(Instructions by Prophet David to an officer, 2 Samuel: 14-16)

NB. He is said to have done this to Uriah, a soldier in David’s army, because he was the husband of Bathsheba, a woman David wanted to marry and already had intercourse with prior to her husband’s death.

“I was dancing to honour the Lord, who chose me instead of your father and his family to make me the leader of his people, Israel. And I will go on dancing to honour the Lord and will disgrace myself even more.

You may think I am nothing, but those women [the servant women of his officials] will think highly of me.”
(Speech by Prophet David to his wife, Michal, daughter of Talut, 2 Samuel: 21-23)

“I [Moses] will use a so-called nation to make my people jealous; and by means of a nation of fools I will make my people angry.”
(Speech by Moses as told by Paul, Romans 10: 19)

“The Lord has a charge to bring against Judah; He will punish [Prophet] Jacob [Ya’qub] according to his ways and repay him according to his deeds. In the womb he grasped his brother’s heel.

As a man he Wrestled with God. He struggled with an angel and overcame him.” (Hosea 12: 2-4)

NB. The Bible defines ‘Jacob’ as meaning ‘The Deceiver’ and his title from God, ‘Israel’ as meaning ‘One who Wrestles with God’ which was given to him after he had fought with and overcome a mysterious stranger on his way to his uncle’s home.

The stranger, without identifying himself, then bestowed upon him an equally strange name on behalf of God adding he had overcome God and hence Jacob was now deserving of the name. From then his descendants have been known by that name.

The stranger himself meanwhile is, as is described, said to have been an angel, but the verse also seems to suggest he was God or somehow had God’s physical power with him at that particular occasion.

He still wasn’t powerful enough however to defeat the Prophet Jacob, who himself is not known or recorded to have been muscular or have had superhuman strength to take on and defeat someone who does.

The more accurate definition falls short of this etymologically and Islamically and which actually means ‘Slave of Allah’ to illustrate a more truer and relevant relationship between a Prophet and his Master.

THE PROPHET AYYUB (JOB) ALLEGED SPEECHES

According to the Bible, Job (pronounced Joe’b) is a saintly figure, a man devoted to God, but not a Prophet. In Islam, he is regarded as a 'Prophet'.

“Can’t you see it is God who has done this? He has set a trap to catch me. I protest against His Violence, but no one is listening; no one hears my cry for justice [against Allah]. God has blocked the way, and I can’t get through. He has hidden my path in darkness.

He [Allah] has taken away my wealth and destroyed my reputation. He batters me from every side. He uproots my hope and leaves me to wither and die. God is angry and rages against me; He treats me like His Worst enemy. He sends His Army to attack me; they dig trenches and lay siege to my tent.”
(Job 19: 6-12)

“Is it right for You (God) to be so cruel? To despise what You Yourself have made?
(Job 10: 3)

“Now I know that all the time You (God) were secretly planning to harm me. You were watching to see if I would sin so that You could refuse to forgive me. As soon as I sin, I’m in trouble with you but when I do right I get no credit.”
(Job 10: 13-15)

“Why won’t God give me what I ask? Why won’t He answer my prayer? If only He would go ahead and kill me. If I knew He would, I would leap for joy.”
(Job 6: 8-10)

“I still rebel and complain against God; I can’t hold back my groaning. How I wish I knew where to find Him and knew how to get to where He is.”
(Job 23: 1-4)

“In the cities the wounded and the dying cry out but God ignores their prayers.”
(Job 24: 12)

“I swear by the Living Almighty God, Who refuses me justice and makes my life bitter.”
(Job 27: 1)

“O God, put a curse on the day I was born, put a curse on the night I was conceived! Turn that day into darkness, God.”
(Job 3: 2-4)

“Curse that night for letting me be born, for exposing me to trouble and grief.”
(Job 3: 10)

“I wish I had died in my mother’s womb or died the moment I was born. Why did my mother hold me on her knees? Why did she feed me at her breast? If I had died then I would be at rest now, sleeping like kings and rulers who rebuilt ancient palaces. Then I would be sleeping like princes who filled their houses with gold and silver.”
(Job 3: 11-16)

“Almighty God has pierced me with arrows and their poison spreads through my body. God has lined up His terrors against me.”
(Job 6: 4-5)

“I can’t believe He [God] would listen to me.”
(Job 9: 16)

“Instead of eating, I mourn, and I can never stop groaning.”
(Job 3: 24-25)

“You (God) terrify me with dreams; you send me visions and nightmares until I would rather be strangled than live in this miserable body.”
(Job 7: 14-16)

“God took me by the throat and battered me and crushed me. God uses me for target practice and shoots arrows at me from every side- arrows that pierce and wound me then He [God] shows no pity. He wounds me again and again; He [God] attacks like a soldier gone mad with hate.”
(Job 16: 12-15)

“If I have been attracted to my neighbour’s wife and waited, hidden outside her door, then let my wife cook another man’s food and sleep in another man’s bed.”
(Job 31: 9-11)

“Remember O God, my life is only a breath; my happiness has already ended. You see me now, but never again. If You look for me I’ll be gone. Like a cloud that fades and is gone, people die and never return; they are forgotten by all who knew them. No I can’t be quiet! I am angry and bitter. I have to speak.”
(Job 7: 7-12)

“He [God] sends storms to batter and bruise me without any reason at all. He won’t let me get my breath, He [God] has filled my life with bitterness. Should I try force? Try force on God? Should I take Him to Court? Could anyone make Him go?
(Job 9: 17-20)

“I give up; I am tired of living. Leave me alone [Message to God]. My life makes no sense.”
(Job 7: 16)

“Stop punishing me, God! Keep your terrors away! I am not afraid [of God]. I am going to talk because I know my own heart.”
(Job 9: 34-35)

“I am tired of living. Listen to my bitter complaint [God].”
(Job 10: 1)

“My days have passed, my plans have failed. My hope is gone.”
(Job 17:11)

You [God] have closed their minds to reason.”
(Job 17:4)

“My only hope is the World of the Dead, where I will lie down to sleep in the dark. I will call my mother and my sisters. Where is there any hope for me? Who sees any? Hope will not go with me when I go down to the World of the Dead.”
(Job 17:13-16)

“Why must you [his friends] persecute me as God does.”
(Job 19:22)

“If God were Human, I could answer him; we could go to court to decide our quarrel”.
(Job 10: 32)

“When an innocent person suddenly dies, God laughs.”
(Job 9: 23)

“Nothing matters; innocent or guilty, God will destroy us.”
(Job 9: 22)

“He [God] made all the judges blind, and if God didn’t do it, who did.”
(Job 9: 24)

“You [God] know that I am not guilty.”
(Job 10: 7)

NB. Here the Prophet Ayyub is accusing God of deliberately being unjust.

THE PROPHETS IN GENERAL

“At that time the bones of the kings and of the officials of Judah, as well as the bones of the priests, of the Prophets and of the other people who lived in Jerusalem will be taken out of their graves.

Instead of being gathered and buried, their bones will be like Manure lying on the ground. They will be spread out before the sun, the moon, and the stars, which these people [inc. the Prophets] have loved and served, and which they have consulted and worshipped.”
(Jeremiah 8: 1-3)

“Even the Prophets and the Priests are so drunk that they stagger. They have drunk so much liquor and wine that they stumble in confusion. The Prophets are too drunk to decide the visions that God sends and the priests are too drunk to decide the cases that are brought to them.”
(Isaiah 28: 7-8)

1 Prophet of God with God’s Permission lied to another Prophet of God, denounced him and said the Prophet had disobeyed God and would be punished. A Lion later killed the denounced Prophet and his body laid on the roadside for a long time, which many people saw.
(1 Kings Ch. 13-14)

A Prophet of God at God’s command ordered a fellow Prophet to hit him. But that fellow Prophet refused. The 1st Prophet then denounced him saying since he disobeyed the Lord, a lion will eat him as soon as he leaves. As soon as the Prophet left, a lion did eat him as predicted.
(1 Kings 20: 35-43)

“Even Prophets and priests Cheat the people. They act as if people’s wounds are only scratches. ‘All is well’ they say, when all is not well.”
(Jeremiah 8: 10-12)

“Prophets and priests carry on their work, but they don’t know what they are doing.”
(God’s Message to Prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 14: 18)

“My complaint is against your priests. Night and day you blunder on, and the Prophets do no better than you.”
(God’s message to Prophet Hosea, Hosea 4: 1-6)

‘My own priests did not know me. The rulers rebelled against me; the Prophets Spoke in the Name of Baal and Worshipped Useless Idols.’
(Speech by God, Jeremiah 2:8)

THE PROPHET JEREMIAH

“What an unhappy man I am! Why did my mother bring me into this World? I have to quarrel and argue with everyone in the land.”
(Speech by Prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 15:10)

“I did not spend my time with other people, laughing and having a good time. In obedience to Your Orders I stayed by myself and was filled with anger. Why do I keep on suffering? Why are my wounds incurable? Why won’t they heal? Do You intend to disappoint me like a stream that goes dry in the summer?”

To this the Lord replied, ‘If you return, I will take you back, and you will be my servant again. If instead of talking nonsense you proclaim a worthwhile message, you will be My Prophet again”
(Conversation between God and Prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 15:17-20)

“Lord, let their children starve to death; let them be killed in War. Let the women lose their husbands and children, let the men die of disease and the young men be killed in battle. Send a mob to plunder their homes without warning; make them cry out in terror.”
(Speech by Prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 18:21-23)

“Lord, You have deceived me, and I was deceived. You are stronger than I am and You have overpowered me. Everyone jeers at me, they mock me all day long.”
(Jeremiah 20:7)

“Curse the day I was born! Forget the day my mother gave me birth! Curse the one who made my father glad by bringing him the news, ‘It’s a boy, You have a son!’ May he be like those cities that the Lord destroyed without mercy.

May he hear cries of pain in the morning and the battle alarm at noon because he didn’t kill me before I was born.

Then my mother’s womb would have been my grave. Why was I born? Was it only to have trouble and sorrow to end my life in disgrace.”
(Jeremiah 20: 14-18)

‘Drag these evil people away like sheep to be butchered; guard them until it is time for them to be slaughtered.’
(Speech by Prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah 12:3)

“I [Prophet Jeremiah] am like a man who is drunk, a man who has had too much wine.”
(Jeremiah 23: 9)

THE PROPHET DAVID

“You have rejected us, God, and defeated us; You have been angry with us- but now turn back to us.”
(Speech by Prophet David to God, Psalms 60: 1-2)

“You [God] have made Your People suffer greatly; we stagger around as though we were drunk.”
(Speech by Prophet David to God, Psalms 60: 3-4)

“How much longer will You forget me, Lord? Forever? How much longer will You hide Yourself from me? How long must I endure trouble? How long will sorrow fill my heart day and night? How long will my enemies triumph over me? Look at me, O Lord my God, and answer me.
(Psalms 13: 1-4, Speech by Prophet David to God)

“Leave me alone so that I may have some happiness”
(Psalms 39: 13, Speech by Prophet David to God)

“How much longer, Lord, will You just look on? Rescue me from their (his enemies) attacks; save my life from these Lions.”
(Psalms 35: 17, Speech by Prophet David to God)

“I have been evil from the day I was born, from the time I was conceived I have been sinful.”
(Psalms 51:5, Speech by Prophet David)

Contradicted by-

“The Lord rewards me because I do what is right; he blesses me because I am innocent. I have obeyed the law of the Lord; I have not turned away from my God. I have observed all His Laws; I have not disobeyed his commands.

He knows I am faultless, that I have kept myself from doing wrong. And so He [God] rewards me because I do what is right, because He knows I am innocent.”
(Song of David, 2 Samuel 22: 21-26)

“I have always walked in Your Way and never strayed from it.”
(Psalms 17: 5, Speech by Prophet David)

“You [God] have left me for dead in the dust.”
(Psalms 22: 15, Speech by Prophet David to God)

“My God, my God, why have You abandoned me? I have cried desperately for help, but still it does not come. During the day I call to You, my God, but You do not answer; I call at night but get no rest.”
(Psalms 22: 1-3, Speech by Prophet David to God)

“Why are You so far away, O Lord? Why do You hide Yourself when we are in trouble.”
(Psalms 10: 1, Speech by Prophet David)

“Saul wanted to destroy us [the people of Gibeon who were not Israelites] and leave none of us alive anywhere in Israel. So hand over seven of his male descendants and we will hang them before the Lord at Gilbeah, the town of Saul, the Lord’s Chosen King.’

‘I will hand them over,’ the king [David] said”
(2 Samuel 21: 5-7)

NB Imagine that, seven innocent people are killed knowingly for a crime everyone knew [including God] they didn’t commit and God answers the prayers of the Israelites once the killings cease.

“Choose some corrupt judge to try my enemy, and let one of his own enemies accuse him. May he be tried and found guilty; may even his prayer be considered a crime! May his life soon be ended; may someone else take his job!

May his children become orphans, and his wife a widow! May his children be homeless beggars; may they be driven from the ruins they live in! May his creditors take away all his property, and may strangers get everything he worked for.

May no one ever be kind to him or care for the orphans he leaves behind. May all his descendants die, and may his name be forgotten in the next generation. May the Lord remember the evil of his ancestors and never forgive his mother’s sins.

May the Lord always remember their sins but may they themselves be completely forgotten!
(Speech by Prophet David to God regarding his enemies Psalms 109: 6-16)

GOD HIMSELF

God asks Prophet Isaiah to go about naked amongst men and women for three years.
(Isaiah 20: 2-4)

God regrets making first, human beings on earth and also later animals and birds as well.
(Genesis 6)

God kills 42 young boys for calling Prophet Elisha ‘Baldy’ after Elisha cursed them.
(2 Kings Ch. 2: 23-25)

God regrets making Saul (Talut) king (1: Samuel Ch. 15: 10-11) and repeated again
(1: Samuel 15: 34)

“I will make the heavens tremble and the earth will be shaken out of its place on that Day when I, the Lord Almighty, will show my anger. The foreigners living in Babylon will run away to their own countries scattering like deer escaping from hunters, like a sheep without a Shepard.

Anyone who is caught will be stabbed to death. While they look on helplessly, their babies will be battered to death. Their houses will be looted and their wives will be raped.”
(God’s Message to Prophet Isaiah, Isaiah 13: 13-17)

God tries to kill Moses but later changes his mind.
(Exodus 5: 22)

God says he married two sisters who later lost their virginity and became prostitutes. The older being the Kingdom of Samaria and the younger being Jerusalem.

They both bore him children. God allegedly describes Kingdom of Samaria as ‘the Whore of all Assyrian officers.’
(Ezekiel 23: 1-22)

Jerusalem addressed by God as a prostitute and ‘You Whore.’
(Ezekiel 16: 35)

“I will draw my sword on all of you, Good and evil alike.”
(Message from God to Jerusalem, Ezekiel 21: 3-4)

Jerusalem described by God as a woman

“You grew strong and tall and became a young woman. Your breasts were well formed and your hair had grown but you were naked.”
(Ezekiel 16:7)

God says to Moses I am going to destroy Israelites for rejecting Him. Moses pleads with Him- reminds Him of his favours towards them, requests him not to be angry and persuades him to forgive them and God changes his mind.
(Exodus 34: 7:15)

God can become jealous
(Ezekiel 36: 6)

“You (Moses) will die on that mountain [Abarim mountains] as your brother died on Mount Hor, because both of you were unfaithful to Me [God] in the presence of the people of Israel.

You dishonoured Me in the presence of the people.
(Deuteronomy 32: 50-51)

“The Lord said to me [Prophet Isaiah] ‘take a large piece of writing material and write on it large letters: ‘Quick Loot, Fast Plunder.’ Get two reliable men, the priest Uriah and Zechariah son of Jeberechiah, to serve as witnesses.’

Some time later my wife became pregnant. When our son was born, the Lord said to me, ‘Name him ‘Quick-Loot-Fast-Plunder.’ Before the boy is old enough to say ‘Mummy and Daddy’ all the wealth of Damascus and the loot of Samaria will be carried off by the king of Assyria.’ (Isaiah 8: 1-5)

“Why is His [God’s] clothing so red, like that of someone who tramples grapes to make wine?’ The Lord answers, ‘I have trampled the nations like grapes, and no one came to help me. I trampled them in my anger and their blood is stained on my clothing.

I decided that the time to save my people had come, it was time to punish their enemies. I was amazed when I looked and saw that there was no one to help me. But my anger made me strong, and I won the victory Myself. In my anger I trampled whole nations and shattered them. I poured out their lifeblood on the ground.’
(Speech by God, Isaiah 63: 1-7)

“I [God] will make the King [the Pharaoh] stubborn, and he will not listen to you.
(Message to Moses (AS) from God at the inception of his mission, Exodus 7:3-4)

“The Lord says, ‘Babylonia, you are my hammer, My Weapon of War. I used to crush nations and kingdoms, to shatter horses and riders, to shatter chariots and their drivers, to kill men and women, to slay old and young, to kill boys and girls, to slaughter shepherds and their flocks, to slaughter ploughmen and their horses, to crush rulers and high officials.”
(Jeremiah 51:20-24)

“The Lord said to Gideon, ‘The men you have [gathered for battle] are too many for Me to give them victory over the Midianites. They might think that they have won by themselves, and so give Me no credit.
(Judges 7:2-3)

“You have wine to drink but not enough to get drunk on.”
(God’s message through Prophet Haggai to the Israelites, Haggai 1:6)

The City of Nineveh described as a Whore by God through Prophet Nahum
(Nahum 3:4)

“On that day [a day of destruction] kings and officials will lose their courage; priests will be shocked and Prophets will be astonished.’
(Jeremiah 4:9)

NB God is to withhold information over the destruction of the communities they [the Prophets] were themselves sent too.

“Go ahead and be stupid! Go ahead and be blind! Get drunk without any wine! Stagger without drinking a drop! The Lord has made you drowsy, ready to fall into a deep sleep.

The Prophets should be the eyes of the people, but God has blindfolded them. The meaning of every Prophetic Vision will be hidden from you; it will be like a sealed scroll.

If you take it to someone who knows how to read and ask him to read it to you, he will say he can’t because it is sealed. If you give it to someone who can’t read and ask him to read it to you, he will answer he doesn’t know how.”
(God’s Message to the Prophet Isaiah, Isaiah 29: 9-13)

NB God will hinder the mission of His Prophets Himself instead of the people they are sent to teach, educate and reform and make their purpose of being sent useless by not allowing them to save their people. Why send Prophets in the first place if God doesn’t want them to be good.

“I [God] cry out like a woman in labour”
(Isaiah 42:14)

"I the Lord God of Israel Promised in the past that your family (family of Eli the priest under whose guidance the Prophet Samuel grew up in a temple) and your clan would serve me as priests for all time. But now I say that I won't have it any longer."
(1 Samuel, 2: 30) NB. God breaks His Promise.

"Go and marry a Prostitute; your wife will be unfaithful, and your children will be just like her."
(God's Message to Prophet Hosea, Hosea 1: 2)

“Show your love for a woman who is committing Adultery with a lover. You must love her just as I still love the people of Israel, even though they turn to other gods.”
(God’s message to Prophet Hosea, Hosea 3: 1)

NB. In the first instance God, Who represents holiness in its highest and most supreme form, is actually asking a chaste man and a Prophet at that who can only think and act good, to marry, love and have great affection for someone who is not only unchaste but without shame and honour.

The Prophet Hosea then went on to buy her for fifteen pieces of silver and 50 kilogram’s of barley.

“I [God] am going to make you [Moses] like God to the king [the Pharaoh] and your brother Aaron will speak to him as Your Prophet.”
(God’s message to Moses, Exodus 7: 1)

“In every generation some of your descendants will die a violent death {not because of their own sins or anything they themselves are guilty but} because you [David] have disobeyed me and have taken Uriah’s wife.”
(Speech by God through Prophet Nathan to David 2 Samuel 12: 10)

NB. God is breaking His own laws here, the Jewish law states no father can be punished for the sins of the son and no son can be punished for the sins of the father. Everyone carries their own burden. It’s a greater crime to punish entire families and even worse to include those who have committed no crimes such as those who have yet to be born for a single sin from one person.

“You [God] have rejected us and let us be defeated; You no longer march out with our armies. You made us run from our enemies, and they took for themselves what was ours.

You allowed us to be slaughtered like sheep; You scattered us in foreign countries. You sold Your Own People for a small price as though they had little value. Our neighbours see what You did to us, and they mock us and laugh at us.

You have made us an object of contempt among the nations; they shake their heads at us in scorn. I am always in disgrace; I am covered with shame from hearing the sneers and insults of my enemies and those who hate me.

All this happened to us, even though we have Not forgotten You [God] or broken the Covenant You made with us.

We have Not been disloyal to You [God]; we have Not disobeyed Your Commands. Yet You have left us helpless among Wild Animals; You abandoned us in deepest darkness.

If we had stopped worshipping our God and prayed to a foreign God, You would surely have discovered it, because You know our secret thoughts. But it is on Your account that we are treated like sheep to be slaughtered.

Wake up, Lord! Why are You asleep? Rouse Yourself! Don’t reject us forever. Why are You hiding from us? Don’t forget our suffering and trouble!
(Psalms 44: 1-25, poem by the Clan of Korah addressed to God)

Why have You [God] abandoned us like this, O God? Will You be angry with Your own people forever? Remember Your People, whom You chose for Yourself long ago, whom You brought out of slavery to be Your own tribe. Remember Mount Zion, where once You lived.”
(Psalms 74: 1-3, Poem by Asaph addressed to God)

“How long O, God, will our enemies laugh at You? Will they insult Your Name forever? Why have You refused to help us? Why do You keep Your Hands behind You?”
(Psalms 74: 10-12, Poem by Asaph addressed to God)

“Remember, O Lord, that Your enemies laugh at You, that they are godless and despise You. Don’t abandon Your helpless people to their cruel enemies; don’t forget Your persecuted people!

Remember the Covenant You made with us. There is violence in every dark corner of the land. Don’t let the oppressed be put to shame; let those poor and needy people praise You.

Rouse Yourself, God, and defend Your Cause! Remember that godless people laugh at You all day long. Don’t forget the angry shouts of Your enemies, the continuous noise made by Your foes.” (Psalms 74: 18-23, Poem by Asaph addressed to God)

“He [God] abandoned His Tent in Shiloh, the home where He had lived among us [the Jews] He allowed our enemies to capture the Covenant Box, the symbol of His Power and glory.

He was angry with His own people and let them be killed by their enemies. Young men were killed in War, and young women had no one to marry. Priests died by violence, and their widows were not allowed to mourn.

At last the Lord woke up as though from sleep; He [God] was like a strong man EXCITED BY WINE.” (Psalms 78: 60-66, Poem by Asaph addressed to God)

“Lord, Will You hide Yourself forever? How long will Your Anger burn like fire?”
(Psalms 89: 46, Poem by Ethan the Ezrahite addressed to God)

“Lord, where are the former proofs of Your Love? Where are the promises You made to David? Don’t forget how I, Your Servant, am insulted, how I endure all the curses of the heathen.”
(Psalms 89: 49-51, Poem by Ethan the Ezrahite addressed to God)

NB God needs people to remind Him not to forget His own people and at times abandons them and needs human beings to re-awaken Him from sleep when He does so. He is so unaware of the suffering His people have to endure for being His people, they have to tell Him they are being insulted, harassed and cursed.

Balaam, a [biblical] Prophet of God, is visited by envoys of Balak, a king of Moab, with handsome rewards for divination to curse the Israelites. God Himself then instructs Balaam to go with the envoys but say only what God says. Balaam the Prophet then acted upon the directives and went on his donkey towards the king of Moab.

God however, despite telling Balaam to go, is very angry and sends an angel to kill his own prophet. The angel waits at the roadside to oppose him with a sword in hand drawn ready to strike him. The donkey sees the angel and swerves off the road to avoid him, Balaam the Prophet beats the donkey continuously for going in a different direction until God gives the donkey the power of speech and state why he disobeyed Balaam.

Balaam the so-called ‘Prophet’ after a while, despite the donkey’s ability to speak is unmoved and says he would kill the donkey if he had a sword for making a fool out of him. (Numbers 22-24)

Bible Commentators add Balaam the biblical Prophet was tempted by money and so kept asking God every time they came. As a Prophet once was sufficient and divination, that was illegal under Moses’s law, he was known to practise. He is said to have been a slave of both money and God for questioning God a second time over the same requests by the same people.

“The Lord God said to me, [Prophet] ‘Jeremiah, tell the people of Israel that every wine jar should be filled with wine. They will answer that they know every wine jar should be filled with wine.

Then tell them that I, the Lord, am going to fill the people of this land with wine until they are drunk: the kings, who are David’s descendants, the priests, the Prophets, and all the people of Jerusalem.

Then I will smash them [including His Prophets] like jars against one another, old and young alike. No pity, compassion, or mercy will stop me from killing them.”
(Speech by God to Jeremiah, Jeremiah 13: 12-15)

“All of them [the Israelites] are stubborn and defiant. Now I [God] will make you [Prophet Ezekiel] as stubborn and as tough as they are.”
(Speech by God to Prophet Ezekiel, Ezekiel 3: 7)

Imagine that, God deliberately intends to make a Prophet ‘stubborn’. It’s understandable to make a Prophet tough, but stubborn and as stubborn as the ones’ he is meant to reform as well.

“For thus says the Lord, Woe is me for my hurt! My wound is grevious.”
(Speech by God where he curses himself, Jeremiah 10: 18)

“Slaying without pity, You [God] have wrapped Yourself with a cloud so that no prayer can pass through.”
(Lamentation 3: 42)

BROTHERS, SONS AND FAMILY OF PROPHETS

Reuban, one of Prophet Yakub’s sons’, has sexual intercourse with one of his father’s concubines.
(1 Chronicles 5: 1-6)

Judah [eldest brother of Prophet Yusuf] unknowingly has sexual intercourse with his daughter-in-law, Tamar, soon after his son’s and own wife’s death believing her to be a prostitute and she (also never having met him, didn’t recognise her own ex-husband’s father) bore him twins.

He almost had her burnt to death when he found out she was pregnant through another man who was not her husband, but allowed to her to live when he found out it was him who was the father.
(Genesis 38)

Absalom, David’s son, when he came to forcibly take his father’s kingdom in invited by Ahithopel (David’s former advisor) and accepted to have sexual intercourse with father David’s concubines. Absalom in front of everyone went to where the concubines were and had sexual intercourse with each of them.

Later David returned and because his concubines had had intercourse with his son, he himself refused to have sexual relations with any of them ever again, even though he retained them as his concubines.
(2 Samuel 16: 21-23)

Yaqub and his twelve sons first deceive the chief of Canaan by agreeing to a plan to allow Shecham, the chief’s son, to marry Dina (whom he had earlier raped) on condition the entire community including Shecham and his father circumcise.

Then when while they are still suffering the pain and sores of the circumcision two of Yaqub’s sons Simeon and Levi took swords and killed them all. Then Prophet Yaqub and his sons looted the town to take revenge.
(Genesis 34-35)

“They [Yaqub and his sons] took the flocks, the cattle, the donkeys and everything else in the city and in the fields. They took everything of value, captured all the women and children and carried off everything in their houses.”
(Genesis 35)

One person rapes Dina and the entire innocent community pays the price.

One son of David [Adonijah] requests King Solomon through the latter’s mother to have one of his father’s wives [Abishag] as his own wife. Solomon angrily refuses the request and has his half-brother executed for asking this in the first place.
(1 Kings 2: 13-25)

A son of David [Annon] was so much in love with Tamar, the unmarried virgin sister of his half brother [Absalom] that he became ill as it seemed impossible to have her since she was kept from meeting men.

His cousin and good friend, Jonadab, the son of David’s brother, Shammah, suggested he pretend to be ill, go to bed and ask his father [David] to get Tamar to come, prepare some food and feed it to him herself so that he could see her.

When she came, Tamar made some cakes in a place where he could see her and emptied them out of the pan for him to eat. He then asked for her to send all the servants away and then to bring the cakes to his bed and serve him herself.

As she offered them to him, he grabbed her and said ‘Come to bed with me!’ She then pleaded with him to come to his senses and even said he should speak to the King [David] and she was sure he would give her to him [in marriage if he was that desperate].

As he was physically stronger than her he overpowered her and raped her. Afterwards he was filled with as much deep hatred for her as he had once been in love with her and said to her ‘Get out!’

In tears and in her virgin costume that she was wearing she replied-,‘No’ she answered. ‘To send me away like this is a greater crime than what you just did!’. He was remorseless however and wouldn’t listen to reason calling in his personal servant to get rid of her.

His personal servant threw her out and locked the door. She then went to live in [her brother] Absalom’s house as a sad and lonely woman. Absalom now hated his half-brother and refused to speak to him again.

Similarly, their father, David was just as angry and furious when he heard of it, [yet neither the father as Head of State, Absalom or anyone else had him legally punished for a crime against God and none of the Prophets or God Himself spoke of it as a criminal activity worth the death penalty.]

Two years later in the presence of all his brothers [whom he had invited to a special family banquet] Absalom had Annon made drunk and then killed by his servants at his order. The rest of David’s sons mounted their mules and fled from the scene in confusion and fear.

Absalom had initially deceived his father, David, by giving the impression he meant no harm to his half-brother Annon in inviting him to the banquet beforehand. David had reluctantly agreed to allow Annon to attend.
(2 Samuel 13: 1-30)

After the destruction of the Cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, the whole valley and everything that grew in the land, the Prophet Lut (Lot) along with his two daughters moved up to the hills and lived in a cave near the town of Zoar [a small area close to Sodom and Gomorrah that they were shortly to settle in.]

Once in the secure haven of the cave, the elder daughter then said to her sister, ‘Our father is getting old, and there are no men in the whole World to marry us so that we can have children.

Come on, let’s make our father drunk, so that we can sleep with him and have children by him.’ That night they gave him wine to drink, and the elder daughter had [sexual] intercourse with him.

But he [the Prophet Lut] was so drunk that he didn’t know it.

The next day the elder daughter said to her sister, ‘I slept with him last night; now let’s make him drunk again tonight, and you sleep with him. Then each of us will have a child by our father.’

So that night they made him drunk, and the younger daughter had [sexual] intercourse with him. Again he [the Prophet Lut] was so drunk that he didn’t know it.

In this way, both of Prophet Lut’s daughters became pregnant by their own father. The elder daughter had a son, whom she named ‘Moab’ [meaning ‘from my father’]. He was the ancestor of the Moabites.

The younger daughter also had a son whom she named ‘Benammi’ [meaning ‘son of my relative’]. He was the ancestor of the Ammonites.’
(Genesis 19: 30-38)

Rehoboam, a son of the Prophet Solomon, and his immediate successor as King of Israel, had eighteen wives and sixty concubines, a total of seventy-eight women. He fathered twenty-eight sons and sixty daughters from amongst them.
(2 Chronicles, 11: 18)

THE ANGELS

“The Angels stopped doing the work of God and came down to earth and made for themselves bodies of flesh and blood like human beings. Once they came down to earth they began to notice human women and how beautiful they were.

They took some as wives for themselves and had intercourse with them. Their wives then bore them children”.
(Jude 6-7)

“The Angels that had come to earth later all slipped out of their material bodies and returned to Paradise where they were expelled from God’s Kingdom of Holy Angels.”
(2 Peter 2:4)

[The Angels children]

“The offspring were unusual. They kept growing bigger until they were giants. The giants tried to force everyone to be bad and led God to send the Flood and all the wicked people including the giants were destroyed.”
(Genesis 6: 4-5)

“War broke out in Heaven, Michael and his Angels fought against the dragon, who fought back with his Angels; but the dragon was defeated and he and his Angels were not allowed to stay in Heaven any longer.

The huge dragon was thrown out, the ancient serpent, called the Devil or Satan that deceived the whole World. He was thrown down to earth, and all his Angels with him.”
(Revelations 12: 7-10)

'God does not trust His Heavenly Servants; He finds faults even with His Angels.'
(Speech by Prophet Job, Job 4: 18)

NB. Normally this might not mean very much, but coming from a loyal follower and servant of God, who himself is also praised by God, it carries a lot of weight.

KILLER PROPHETS (WITH GODS PERMISSION)

Prophet Joshua

“With their swords they killed everyone in the city, men and women, young and old. They also killed the cattle, sheep and donkeys.”
(Joshua 6: 21-22)

“They set fire to the city and burnt it to the ground along with everything in it.”
(Joshua 6: 24)

“So the Lord was with Joshua [during his bloodlust military adventures] and his fame spread through the whole country.”
(Joshua 6: 27)

“The Whole population of Ai was killed that day- 12, 000 men and women.”
(Joshua 8: 25-26)

[Prophet] Joshua attacks and captures at least six named territories and kills everyone after the battles
(Joshua 10: 28-43)

[Prophet] Joshua captures more cities and slays entire populations after defeating them
(Joshua 11-12)

“[Prophet] Joshua along with the people of Israel, seized Achan, the silver, the cloak, and bar of gold, together with Achan’s sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys, and sheep, his tent, and everything else he owned; and they took them to ‘Trouble Valley’.

And [Prophet] Joshua said, ‘Why have you brought such trouble on us? The Lord will now bring trouble on you!’

All the people then stoned Achan to death; they also stoned and burnt his family and possessions. They put a huge pile of stones over him, which is there to this day. That is why that place is still called ‘Trouble Valley’. Then the Lord was no longer furious.”
(Joshua 7: 24-25)

“The Lord has given you the city [of the Canaanites]…all silver, and gold, and vessels of brass and iron, are consecrated unto the Lord: They shall come into the treasury of the Lord. The people utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.”
(Joshua 6: 16)

Moses

“We slaughtered them all. [The Army of King Og]. At the same time we captured all his towns- there was not one we did not take. In all we captured 60 towns.”
(Deuteronomy 3: 3-4)

“We destroyed all of the towns and put to death all the men, women and children just as we did in the towns that belonged to King Sihon of Heshbon. We took the livestock and plundered the towns.”
(Deuteronomy 3: 6-8)

“The Israelites [who were given God’s help] turned back against the Benjaminites and killed them all- men, women and children and animals as well. They burnt every town in the area.”
(Judges 20: 48)

“Kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for themselves every girl who has never slept with a man.”
(Numbers 31: 17-18)

“In the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes.”
(Deuteronomy 20: 16)

“The Lord said unto Moses, ‘Avenge the children of the Midianites…They warred against the Midianites, as the Lord commanded Moses, and they slay all the males. And they took all women as captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flock, and all their goods. And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles with fire.”
(Numbers 31: 1)

Prophet David

Saul asks the then youthful warrior David for the foreskins of 100 dead Philistines [Palestinians] for his daughter Michel’s hand in marriage. David went out and killed 200 innocent Philistines to marry his daughter.
(1 Samuel 18: 25-28)

“He would raid their lands [the people of Geshur, Girzi and Amalek] as far as Shur all the way down to Egypt killing all the men and women.”
(1 Samuel: 27:8)

“Then he would come back to Achish [a place]. David would kill everyone, men and women so that no one could go back to Gath [a place] and report what he had really done. This is what David did all the time he lived in Philistia.”
(1 Samuel 27: 11-12)

Prophet Samuel

“Go and attack the Amekalites and completely destroy everything they have. Don’t leave a thing. Kill all the men, women, children and babies.”
(Statement issued by Prophet Samuel to the Israelites on God’s order, 1 Samuel 15: 3)

Prophet Ezekiel

“And the Lord said, ‘Go through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have your pity. Slay utterly old and young, both maids and little children, and women.”
(Statement issued by Prophet Ezekiel to the Israelites on God’s order Ezekiel 9: 5)

No comments: